MAC Cosmetics History
MAC Cosmetics, abbreviated as M.A.C, is a Canadian cosmetics company started in 1984 in Toronto, Canada by Frank Toskan and Frank Angelo. MAC is an abbreviation for Make-Up Art Cosmetics. The company is based in New York City. Following its acquisition by Estée Lauder Companies in 1998.
The company’s goods were designed for cosmetic artists, but they are now offered straight to consumers all over the world. The brand had more than a hundred locations globally in the 1990s, earning 200 million francs.
The Estée Lauder Companies acquired 51% of MAC Cosmetics in 1994 and began handling the business side while the two founders remained creative control. Estée Lauder Inc. completed the acquisition in 1998 after co-founder Frank Angelo died of cardiac arrest during surgery at the age of 49 in 1997.
Frank Toskan immediately sold his remaining shares before departing the company at the end of the year. MAC Cosmetics has been recognized one of the top three global makeup brands, with an annual revenue of more than $1 billion and 500 independent outlets, including over thirty in France. Professional makeup artists manage all of the stores.
MAC Cosmetics Establishment
The company provided a diverse selection of products that combined street smarts with elegant style and elegance. Frank Toskan and Frank Angelo created the cosmetics in their kitchen and marketed them directly from the salon to other makeup artists, models, and photographers.
However, you can now simply purchase MAC cosmetics through their website or by visiting a store near you. It’s incredible how two people who started out making items in their kitchen have grown into world-class brand owners and top product creators.
In 1994, the MAC AIDS Fund was established to assist men, women, and children impacted by HIV and AIDS by tackling the connection between poverty and the fatal disease. As shown by MAC Cosmetics, the fund has raised more than $400 million through the purchase of MAC’s Viva Glam Lipsticks and Lip glosses, with 100% of the proceeds going to HIV/AIDS research.
MAC has teamed with various celebrities on limited edition lip glosses and lipsticks for its Viva Glam brand to benefit the Mac AIDS Fund. This shows that MAC Cosmetics is more than simply a make-up brand; it is also a supporter and advocate for those living with HIV/AIDS.
What are the products of MAC Cosmetics?
For the lips
- Lip Primer
- Lip Liner
- Mini M·A·C Lip
- Lip Palette
- Liquid Lip Color
- Liquid Lip Color
For the face
- Face palettes
- Foundation finder
For the eyes
- Eye shadows
- Eye palettes
- Eye brushes
- Eye liners
What are the best products of MAC Cosmetics?
1. MAC Extended Play Gigablack Lash- The tiny brush on this baby helps you to get up close to your lash line for optimum application and is the ideal mascara for lower lashes. Dries fast, which aids in the prevention of transmission. It’s also simple to remove.
2. MAC Prep and Prime Fix + Spray– A mild water mist rich in vitamins and minerals that soothes and hydrates the skin. It can be combined with powder products to activate them. This is a holy grail for make up artists.
3. MAC Powder Kiss Lipstick- This nourishing matte lipstick creates a subtle blur on your lips. The formula contains moisture-coated powder pigments that keep your lips matte but feeling like you’ve just applied your favorite lip balm.
4. MAC Face and Body Foundation- A light, fluid foundation with thin to medium coverage and a natural finish that lasts. The heat activates the water-based solution, which then grips to the skin for a long-lasting glowy finish that you may apply all over your face and body.
5. Studio Fix Powder Foundation- This exceptional formula keeps customers looking smooth, matte, and appealing. It never fails to impress when it comes to celebrity red carpet events, magazines, and a must-have backstage for fast, long-lasting applications.
6. MAC Prep and Prime Lip- A clear lip primer that hydrates, smoothes, and adjusts the texture of the lips. Its nourishing formulation keeps your lips nourished and smooth, with no shine to interfere with your preferred lip color.
7. MAC Prep + Prime Essential Oils Grapefruit + Chamomile- It balances uneven skin textures and nourishes with essential avocado and grapefruit oils and more. Wrinkles and lines are reduced, making you look young and radiant.
8. MAC Studio Fix 24-Hour Liquid Concealer- It’s simple to blend and personalize your coverage, it doesn’t go wherever you don’t want it to after application, and it leaves no odd residue. It’s a perfect choice of concealer to those who believe in the saying “A little goes a long way”.
Fun and Interesting Facts about MAC Cosmetics
1. When Madonna wore M.A.C. lipstick, it was one of the company’s first big breaks- During a photo shoot in the late 1980s, Madonna wore an extreme matte red lipstick.
2. M.A.C. sells the most lipstick than of any non-drugstore brand- According to a 2012 study done by the NPD Group. This just proves that a lot of people love the brand so much because of its quality and performance.
3. Natalie Portman’s character in Black Swan wore mostly M.A.C. cosmetics-Judy Chin, the film’s makeup artist, used almost completely M.A.C. materials to create Portman’s bizarre swan makeup.
4. The Popularity of MAC Cosmetics- MAC Cosmetics is widely regarded as one of the top three global makeup brands. The brand’s products are used by the general public as well as practically every renowned makeup artist.
5. The MAC AIDS Fund- MAC Cosmetics is a well-known beauty firm that also raises awareness on various social and healthcare issues. The MAC Aids Fund, founded in 1994, provides global assistance to women, men, and children affected by HIV/AIDS.
6. Chili is MAC’s best-selling lipstick– Globally, 11 Chili MAC lipsticks are sold per minute.
7. MAC Lipstick in the shade Ruby woo– Ruby Woo, a cult favorite lipstick, is the second best-selling shade. MAC sells 7 Ruby Woos every minute around the world.
Wrapping it up
MAC cosmetics is a make-up brand that offers high-quality cosmetics that make clients love them even more. From the formulation to the performance, these products are unquestionably a must-have in every girl’s make-up kit, especially for make-up artists.
They not only offer the best items, but they also assist those in need. With their HIV/AIDS program, they sell products and use the proceeds to support people affected by the disease. There is no doubt that this make-up brand has achieved what they have due of their excellence as well as their desire to help the community.